Thursday, August 24, 2006

"Revenge of the Bookeaters" at the Beacon Theater, 8/23/06

A few highlights from the “Revenge of the Bookeaters” show at the Beacon tonight (Quick because Miss Stacia’s got to go to bed and kick this cold before her Fran Drescher turns into a phone sex operator. If you've had a conversation with me recently you know what I'm talking about.):

1. Jon Stewart making an interesting observation about how Mac commercials kind of make him want to buy a PC (because presumably John Hodgman is the more likable of the two annoying spokespeeps.).
2. “Chicago” followed immediately by “Casimir Pulaski Day” from Sufjan Stevens and his sweet, six-piece band. Major score, and I wasn’t even crossing fingers for favorites like I usually do.
3. A silver-haired, cowboy-booted David Byrne announcing that he was going to do an entire country set, noting, “I’ve played all these songs before, just never all at once.”

But for me, the best part of the night, no joke, was exiting a killer musical showcase onto 74th and Broadway, a mere nine blocks from my apartment. This has never happened to me before, and may never again, as the typical bill for the Beacon theater these days features Linda Rondstadt* or Meatloaf (I shit you not, he was just there). Regardless, I could not stop reveling in the convenience.

Also, although I have seen a fair amount of hipsters make their way through Central Park for Summerstage, it truly tickled me to see them running amok on UWS city streets. An army of leggings marching towards my diner? A cluster of mullets and side-swept bangs in front of the Ruby Foo's?! I don’t think there was ever an occasion on which I could gaze at Zabars and catch so many pairs of thick-rimmed glasses in my peripheral vision. No strollers or little dogs, just a string of skinny chain smokers hanging across the street from the house that bubbe built.

*Sorry Linda, my heart belongs to Carly Simon.

1 comment:

Rob Hill said...

Most of Stewart's spiel was great. Especially the line about the Senate allowing only whifflecanes after Charles Sumner's beating on the Senate floor. And then, after Joseph Welch's famous attack on Senator McCarthy, "Have you no sense of decency, sir?", McCarthy's less publicized retort was "Yes, I have a sense of decency, but I left it on your mother's nightstand. Zing!"

I thought the Sarah Vowell-Eric Bogosian piece about cantankerous mapmaker Charles Preuss was funny as well. Also did you spot Dave Eggers in the aisle during intermission giving out hugs to those who donated $20?